Monday, December 14, 2009

Test Results

I had a CT scan last Monday and the results are not what we had hoped. Things were going along just fine, but then after 6 months things seem to fall apart. The tumor in my liver has grown. Not substantially, but enough for some concern. The trial will let us stay for now, but we are on the hunt for a new one and some alternatives. We're playing Russian roulette here. Do we stay with traditional that seems to fail every six months or go completely alternative and give IPT a shot? Timing seems to be everything. The more we read about traditional the more concerned we get. I feel like an hourglass is constantly running and i need to act fast.

To make matters worse, the side effects are coming on strong. My rib cage on the right side is completely out of whack so they are going to do a bone scan on Wednesday to see if it has metastasized to my bones. More waiting...

Then today i got a UTI. I have never been in so much pain. I was pissing blood with pains shooting up my back and then proceeded to vomit violently in the doctor's office. The good thing is that they gave me morphine for the pain. Yeah morphine (that is my drug of choice for so many reasons). Its the little things in life that makes me so happy.

I also have really bad mouth sores that only cold water seems to help, but then it makes me have to pee and that hurts the other area...

I may not get my Christmas letter out until 2010, but i guess better late than never right?

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas,
Love the Vickers

6 comments:

HAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HAM said...

I don't know what to say or to advise but I found this from someone who went through what you might be going through now:

You've got to trust yourself and your decisions when you're facing cancer. That's what worked for me. And I want to share my experience because I want to help others as they consider their options and move forward.

I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer in 1995, and the cancer was already spreading by the time they found it. The doctors advocated radical treatment. It just didn't feel right to me and I wanted to find another solution. I was scared, but I wasn't ready to die at 43. I strengthened my resolve to overcome the cancer. You need to dig deep when you face something so serious.

Then my doctor informed me of a protocol for Cervical Cancer that one of her colleagues was heading up at the National Institutes of Health. I called him, fit the criteria for the protocol, and got involved in the study. I knew in my heart that it was the right thing for me. I survived.

I think your family, love, and a strong support network makes a huge difference. And you can't underestimate the power of your brain in its ability to heal. You've got to believe that you have the strength to endure - and that you can win!

I am so sorry that you feel/felt like shit. This sucks Laura I hope you can have a better day, better week. Get that fighting spirit you have always had and keep up the fight, do what you feel in heart will work for you and fight this fucker Laura....Excuse my language.

Love YA

HAM said...

Besides it ain't over till the Fat Lady sings and I ain't singing yet honey, whew this cancer has me in a tizzy......

Stefanie Graper said...

I wish I had some advice for you...I am always here for you if you need anything. xoxoxo

Tabetha said...

Laura,

I am thinking and praying for you and damnit I wish there was something I could do. Twinkle my freakin nose or something. I love you!!

Tab