Thursday, August 20, 2009

1970-2060 or more

I, Laura Elizabeth Maciej, was born July 23, 1970 in Long Beach, California to a couple who were in college and couldn't keep me. They decided to give me up for adoption to a Catholic couple who likes to camp. That i got. Bill and Cathie brought me home when i was just 3 days old and then added my sister 2.5 years later. We moved to Sacramento when i was young and i attended two different Catholic schools and two public schools. I went to college in Santa Barbara where i met Charlie (Sammy's Dad). We moved to St. Simon's Island in 1992 and after a year there we decided we needed a larger city. We headed north to Atlanta in 1993, got married in 1994, had Samantha in 2000, and separated in 2001. I started dating Travis thereafter and have been happily married since 2005. Charlie and I remain friends and our spouses both went to UF so how could they not like each other. Charlie and Debbie are actually the guardians of our children since we would never want to separate them if something happens to us. Everyone laughs at our relationship, but it works for us and it works for Sammy. We even spend holidays with Charlie and his parents. It is just one huge extended family around here.

Any ways, i am an accountant by trade, but due to the cancer, i only work about 6 hours per week at the kids school. It keeps my brain going and gets me out of the house. I started running in 1998 and have completed several marathons and tackled the Ironman in 2001. I still have plans to do another one in my 40th year, but only time will tell. I have two amazing kids who challenge me and make me smile each and every day. Travis is a partner in an architectural firm based in Orlando. He is the rock of our family and am so lucky to have him in my life. I am sure all of you can add stuff to my little life story so feel free. Sammy would love it.

Here's to a long and healthy life,
Laura

4 comments:

Stefanie Graper said...

Okay, just had a minor freak out until I read the previous post...
had to cry a little anyway. Your kids are so lucky to have so many wonderful people in their lives.
Glad you are doing well, now that school has started we need to get together minus the boys. We'll be out of town this weekend but I'll call you next week. Big hugs!

Reagan said...

I met Laura when she married my cousin, Charlie. I eventually married the best man at their wedding and therefore Laura and I become close friends. Laura is the definition of a great girlfriend. It was always more fun when Laura was around. The four of us (and often Charlie's sister, Kathleen too) would spend nights playing cards and drinking wine. We had so many laughs. Laura and I considered ourselves the "dummies" and our husbands the "brains" and so Laura and I were always good for some blond jokes...we were always laughing at ourselves. We watched many movies with our movie-buff hubbies and even took some trips together. All of our holidays were spent together and those were special times. I was heartbroken when Laura and Charlie separated, and later divorced because I knew our fun times and future memories together were over. No more trips, no more weddings to attend as a foursome, no more "hearts" games, no more movie at the theater on Thanksgiving day. I was depressed that my cousin was losing a good partner and that I was losing a good girlfriend. As time would have it, I've moved to California (Laura's old stomping grounds and she's stayed put in Atlanta, my old stomping grounds) and I've also remarried. I'm glad I'm back in touch with Laura, as she was such a special girlfriend. Sam - your Mommy is what every girl needs: an honest friend who always listens, has great advice, laughs hard with you (and at you!) and is always the life of the party. I'm thankful I spent those special years with her and I wish we still lived close. Thanks for all the fun memories Laura : )!

Heller said...

Laura talks about her poop with GUYS.!

Laura said...

Sorry steph didn't mean to make u cry, Reagan you made me cry I miss those time too, and heller I only did that with you on 20 mile runs. After all these years you still make me laugh.