Thursday, January 1, 2009

TMI

On Monday the 22nd i developed a UTI. The first meds didn't work, so after several uncomfortable days they finally put me on penicillin. Both meds multiplied the effects of my chemo drugs and have caused such severe diarrhea that my back went into spasms. Then because of the 29 pills and all their side effects, i woke up Christmas morning vomiting at 4 AM. This woke the entire family up so we decided to start opening gifts at 5:30. I slept most of the day, but had fun watching the kids open gifts for 3 hours from the couch. The rest of the week i have been recovering and letting my mother-in-law take good care of me. It was also nice to have Travis home for the entire week. We are sad to see him go back tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

We leave for Chicago on the 11th and are very excited. This is the first time anyone has been willing to take care of our kids since Gavin was born, so Travis and i are so excited to have a week to sleep in, be together, and get some great info from new doctors. Please keep us in our prayers

9 comments:

KristineRN said...

Happy New Year Laura and it's never "TMI". How do you manage to give us this information and still make us smile. What a gift for writing you have!
Good luck in Chicago. Happy to hear you will be sleeping in and are looking forward to some well deserved alone time with Travis.
Extra prayers will be with you next week.

kk

Britt said...

Laura, I am a friend of Travis's from Orlando and have been reading your blog. I just let him know that we have a 4 1/2 year old girl and a 2 year old boy and IF YOU EVER need someone to watch your kids, for pleasure, relief, research, etc...we are always available! My brother's fiancee was diagnosed with bone cancer at 28. I know what a toll the FIGHT!! can be:) You are in my prayers, CONTINUE TO BE STRONG!!! You are amazing!

Tabetha said...

Happy New Year. I am sorry to hear about the side effects. I hope you are feeling better!!! I think of you all the time and wish we were closer to you!! I hope you get some good info. in Chicago and lots of rest and time together.

Tab

Trishie said...

TMI is usually the good juicy stuff, but we'll take what we can get. Sorry about the "extras", but once again you showed how strong you really are.

Have fun and get lots of good info in Chicago.

Love ya Sunshine....Trishie

julie said...

Happy New Year, Laura!!! Hope you are feeling better and over the UTI. I had one myself on Christmas day and I can't imagine all the "extra" symptoms you had. You are such a fighter!
Will be saying extra prayers for you for your trip to Chicago. I hope it's informative as well as a much needed break for you guys!! Miss you guys... are you traveling to WPB for the big game?? Mark was thinking you all were making the trip. I know he's excited to see Travis. Keep the faith and your sense of humor. You are AMAZING! :) xoxoxo

Temple said...

Dude - I hope I can still hear about your diarreah when we're 80+ so no worries about the TMI. BRING IT!

Happy New Year - and you guys are ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers and at least 1000 other people's too at any given minute. So there.

Big hugs!

Bev said...

Happy New Year Laura! You are such a fighter and have such a strong spirit. We will continue to pray for you as you travel and meet with new doctors.
I'd love to take the kids for an afternoon or overnight or whenever. Josh and Jake would have so much fun with them. Please let me know when we can help :)
B

Julie(t) (Coberly) Farmer said...

i'm an over-sharer, so there's never tmi with me. :) i've got my fingers crossed that chicago will hold the key.

Matt Trinca said...

Laura, you're definitely in my prayers. Stay tough, and keep running.

Matt Trinca