Monday, May 12, 2008

Metal Out

Today I had surgery to remove the metal that was in my expander that was never used. I already feel more comfortable and the surgery was a piece of cake compared with the last one. I do have a drain in and if anyone has ever had one, they are disgusting. Not to mention I get very worried that little G-money will try and pull it. That would cause me some major discomfort. The only bad thing about this is i could have up to six weeks of recovery and i am in the middle of tri and marathon training for the fall. Since i am already feeling great i am hoping i can cut that time way, way down.

Any who, my next step is to have an MRI, one last Herceptin treatment, get preggers, and then have reconstruction. This is a 2-3 year time-line, but it was my best option if we want to have another baby.

For those who know the Sauer Family, Bruce lost his four year battle with cancer Saturday evening. Please keep the Sauer Family in your prayers.

I will miss you Mr. Sauer!

6 comments:

Lowa said...

I just gave your website info to a friend who's friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Hope it helps her.

By the way, 2 months with no posting...?!?!?!? How about some pix at least?

HAM said...

Happy Fourth of July! Hope everyone has a great one. I agree with Laura we need an update.

I hope you are doing well Laura.

Love Ya HAM

Julie(t) (Coberly) Farmer said...

hi laura: we didn't know each other in high school, but i just stumbled across your cancer blog, and seriously, what are the odds that two '89 dc grads had breast cancer??? i guess 1 in 8, right? :)
i haven't gotten too far into your blog yet, but i was diagnosed in dec. 2001--stage 2b (or not to be!). had both breasts removed, six months of chemo and a month and a half of radiation. long story short, so far so good. i opted not to have reconstruction, and also had my ovaries removed. my husband is amazing and supported me every step of the way. anyway, i just wanted to say small world, and congrats on finishing treatment. it's all downhill from here!

Julie(t) (Coberly) Farmer said...

oh...and i went by "julie" back then, but my real name is juliet and maiden name is coberly.

Temple said...

Laura- Dang...glad you are stopping by the DC blog because like everyone is saying - you are awful quiet on here these days.

Julie(t)-wow, that actually makes 3 DC 89'ers I know who hve survived breast cancer. Katie Gerity is also on the mend.

I'm glad all of you are doing well. I was complaining earlier that a Diptheria/Tetnus shot on my arm was hurting for a few days. Often when I visit here I quickly remember to keep things in perspective and quit whining about the little stuff.

Got it.
;) Temple

Julie(t) (Coberly) Farmer said...

glad to hear katie is also surviving/thriving. i can't believe three of us have already had it. wtf? something in the water at dc, perhaps? or maybe in the swimming pool...