Monday, February 2, 2009

Sammy

Tonight was the night...Sammy asked me if i was going to do kick boxing again when i am better and I had to tell her that i am not getting better, that this is as good as it gets. Of course the water works started for both of us and we talked about how it is now considered a "chronic disease" and although manageable, i will have cancer for the rest of my life. We discussed why they cant removed the cancer/tumor, how do i know if the meds are working, if i will every loose my hair again, etc. She then hesitated and asked me what happens when i die. We talked, hugged, cried some more, and hopefully got to a point that makes it not so scary. She is such a great kid and it was very hard to put this burden on her, but my prayer is that we can talk enough about it so when the time comes she will know what to expect and we can have the right people lined up for her to lean on.

On a better note, Dr. Citrin called and the path report that he performed at CTCA indicates that i am her2 + and er/pr +. This doesn't change anything as of yet, but may in the future. I guess i am relieved that they didn't treat me incorrectly at Emory, but am still interested in finding out what happened to my first path report.

I met with the counselor at the doctors office and she gave me several ideas on how to reinvent myself, exercise options since running seems to be very challenging at the moment, and some mind tricks when i cant sleep.

Please keep travis in your prayers, this economy is just one more stresser the poor guy doesn't need.

Love Laura

7 comments:

KristineRN said...

Wow....... you handled that difficult conversation with Sam soooo well. She must get her amazing strength from her Mom.

Yes, this economy sucks and we will continue to keep Travis in our prayers.

Glad to hear the counselor had some helpful tips and that Emory was on the right track. Thanks again for taking the time to give us updates. We are thinking of you always!! Miss ya Lora, kk

Lowa said...

I need to stop reading this first thing in the morning... in my office... with the door open... that everyone walks past as they come in.

HAM said...

I am so sorry Laura no mom should ever have to have that converstion with their Daughter it's just not fair.

I hope you are able to do some yoga or something to escape from things for just a little bit a day.

I will send prayers and thoughts your way for Travis as well.

Tabetha said...

I too am so sorry you had to do this. The tears are flowing here too. We will keep all of you in our prayers for sure. I want to say so much more right now but I think I am too sad............ I know I should be upbeat and positive but the truth is that is just plain sad.

Mandi said...

Hey Laura! Thanks for the update on everything! I know that it must be so difficult to talk to Sam about that type of stuff but I know God will take care of you and Sam and all the struggles that you are having to deal with! We love you guys so much! Stay positive! Give everyone big hugs and kisses!!!!! :)

julie said...

Sending you and Sam big HUGS!!! I hate you had to do this. We love you and are always thinking about you all. XOXO julie and mark

W.R. Chandler said...

You are such a strong woman, Laura. We are continuing to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You have a whole network in Sacramento praying for you.
Take good care,
Cheryl Barto Chandler